Sunday, May 21, 2006

You Bastard!

The inspiration to create this blog started with my postings on Yelp.com (which can be found at http://www.abc.yelp.com). This site is a review based website that allows users to post reviews or ramblings about the businesses with which they interact. The limitation arose for me when I wanted to continue to write about all of the places I have already written about, only in more depth and greater detail. So I needed a new venue. Here I am...

So I am in San Francisco for a Saturday morning event and I am there way early. As I am driving on the Embarcadero, I realize that I have time to stop in at the Ferry Building Market and try to pick up some beans from Steve hoping that he is there before the market officially opens at 8am, when I have to leave. You see, Steve of Ranch Gordo stopped coming to my local market on Sundays. Now this may not sound like a betrayal to you, but... I'll spare you the dramatics.

At first, I could not find Steve. So I walk down to the South end of the Ferry Building where the hot food is to see what Prather Ranch and RoliRoti have going on. I see Steve, Scott, and Carlos of Prather Ranch, getting the barbeque set-up. I run into Thomas Odermatt. Thomas is the Master of Rotisserie behind RoliRoti. Thomas is a genius chef and a very fun guy. His chicken is quite honestly the best I have ever had. I have almost stopped cooking chicken entirely; there is no point. Thomas loves his customers, especially his regulars. We stop and chat. Thomas explains his family's business efforts to establish a free-range rabbit program in Europe. Evidently, that Bugs Bunny shtick with the holes is a real problem when you put real bunnies in a pasture. It was still 30 minutes before the market officially opens, but some early shoppers (mostly regulars) are filtering through. One of them, a regular RoliRoti customer, asks Thomas for a chicken. The chicken is not yet ready; it needs 5 more minutes. The customer replies tentatively that they might come back, adding a strong "MAYBE" just to rub it in. To which Thomas playfully exclaims, "You bastard!" before laughing heartily.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home