Sunday, July 23, 2006

I missed the market...

As I wrote last week, I was at a seminar today and, sadly, could not make the market. On my drive home from the seminar, we stopped at Whole Foods to grab a late lunch and some staples for the week. Now Whole Foods evokes a lot of strong reactions from people in these parts. Until I became a regular at the market, I relied on Whole Foods extensively. But now I see things differently. Whole Foods is a large for-profit corporation. Their first mission should be to make money. If I was a shareholder, which I am not, I would be concerned if their mission was anything different. Along the way, if they wish to attempt to promote sustainable agriculture, organic produce, and humane farming that is wonderful, I will applaud them loudly. Until it is clear that WF is making real efforts to achieve these ends and not simply using clever marketing approaches, I remain unconvinced. As a consumer wishing to use my purchases to create wonderful meals, a better world, and sustainable, humane, and fair food production, WF is a luxury I cannot afford.

Last year, I reviewed the Whole Foods in San Francisco's SOMA district on yelp.com. This review helped me to articulate most clearly how my view of my personal responsibilities as a consumer has evolved. I think the prediction I make at the end of the review about the future of organics is already upon us, much sooner than I might have guessed. FYI, yelp.com reviews are rated one through five stars, in addition to the text commentary.

Whole Foods 399 Fourth Street San Francisco -- Three Stars
"In the world of Albertson's, Target, Costco, and Safeway (an aside - Do people actually find the idea of getting their food at the "safe way" appealing? I mean if safety is the question??!?!), Whole Foods is the best, the Goliath, the superstar! In that world, it is five stars.

But I hate shopping here, because I do not live in that world. If I am forced to go to Whole Foods, it means I missed one of the ubiquitous Bay Area Farmer's Markets or did not take the time to set up an organic produce home delivery service or do not know of any farm stands anywhere. I want to buy my food close to its production. I want to know the people selling it to me by name. I want to be able to learn something new about the products I am purchasing from the people who make and sell them when I have questions. I want to know who I am spending my food dollars on. I want to know how they treat the people they employ , the animals they raise, and the vegetables the harvest. THIS IS MY ORGANIC MANIFESTO! It is about humanity and humaneness, quality and value, reality and locality!

And this earthbound, encumbered, Austin-based corporation is great in a pinch and when winter weather closes those wonderful seasonal Farmer's Markets, but something wicked comes this way (a Wal-Mart Superstore full of organics)."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home