Sunday, July 09, 2006

Outstanding In Their Fields

It was a glorious Sunday at the market. I got there on the late side, but not so late that I missed the bounty that is market in full bloom. As the seasons change, the availability of different fruits and vegetables overlaps. Right now, things are hitting a wonderful crescendo. We are starting to see the stone fruits as well as the continuation of the strawberries, the end of the cool summer season greens and the beginning of the basil.
But the wonder of the market is not the products alone. The farmers and vendors that work the markets are usually quite expert about their products and how they can be used. It is not surprising that many of these folks are real gourmands and food experts.

One of my regular stops is with Ute and Justin at the Capay Organic stall. Capay Organic farm is an ambitious farm with a farmer's box delivery program, a retail store in the SF Ferry building (pictured at the left), and, of course, a presence at our wonderful markets. Justin manages the Capay warehouse when he is not selling me squash, and when Ute is not discussing the merits of Dino Kale she is a personal chef. So these people know their produce. In fact, it is unusual that I do not learn something from all the various people I buy from on any given market day. At Capay Organic, they produce various crops throughout the year and, just to keep me on my feet, they often have new crops just coming into season. However, they almost always have their excellent walnuts, which should not be missed. As my posts continue, I look forward to sharing more of the little tid-bits that I learn from all the wonderful people that feed me and mine. Until next time...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home