Saturday, August 12, 2006

Inflation?


This past Thursday I swung by the Thursday night market at the SF Ferry Building. I had heard the prices were a lot higher at the Saturday market here than at my usual market on Sunday in San Rafael. Well, I passed by the Capay stand and saw there tomaters were going for $4.49 a pound. Of course, I bought them on Sunday for $2.50 a pound in San Rafael. Now certainly some price differential is acceptable, but that is nearing a 100% difference. I do not see the Farmers' Markets as a bargin opportunity, but the idea of buying direct from the producer is, in part, to increase the market efficiencies (i.e. deliver a better product at a competitive price where the producer sees more return on her or his investment and the consumer is rewarded with a relatively good value for the quality). I can't wait to hear what Justin and Ute have to say about this.

I know my picture is crummy, but, if you cannot read the sign, it says "heirloom tomatoes $4.49".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home